My Morning Ritual of Gratefulness, Spiritual, & Physical Fitness
Ritual vs. Routine
Rather than calling it my morning routine, I call it my morning ritual because a routine is something you do daily either because you have to or unintentionally. A ritual is something a bit more sacred, treasured and PLANNED. It’s intentional and special, and not to be taken for granted. My mornings are similar, but the first couple of hours of my day are set aside for me.
I’ve been taking little nuggets from the book Tools of Titans by Tim Ferris for some time. Tim Ferris is a famous podcaster and author who is best known for his books The 4 Hour Body or the 4 Hour Work Week. I really like this book Tools of Titans because it’s a compilation of years of podcast interviews broken down by person he interviewed. He wanted to find out the answers to questions that made each of them successful and to see if there were any similarities in these individuals.
When interviewing these billionaires, icons, and world-class performers, he asked them about their favorite books, their habits, their routines, and many other things to see where any of them overlapped. What he found was incredible! He found that 80% of them had some sort of daily intentional ritual.
I was super impressed by this, and the thought occurred to me that my daily morning routine was not something that I had put a lot of thought into creating. Yes, I got up, brushed my teeth, got dressed, went to the gym (sometimes more regularly than others), unloaded the dishes from last night, and the list goes on. I was not being purposeful with my thoughts. I was a dummy on autopilot that just did what needed to be done as I saw it needed to be done.
What I Now do in the Morning
I have been doing this for a while, and it has helped me grow my business, get a hold of my anxiety, fears, and stress. I am living a happy life, and even though there are plenty of reasons for me to be stressed, anxious, etc., practicing daily gratitude and exercise has cancelled out the anxiety. You cannot have fear and anxiety in the same thought as your gratefulness. So, here’s my morning ritual. I hope you try this! Please comment if you have any questions about it or if you try it!
- Make your bed (less than 3 min) – Naval Admiral Williams McRaven said at the U of Texas Austin’s commencement speech, “If you make your bed every morning, you will have accomplished the first task of the day. To paraphrase, doing a series of little things throughout the day reinforces that “little things in life matter.”
- Meditate/Pray (10 – 20 min) – 80% of all the successful people interviewed in the book Tools of Titans have a daily meditation practice of some type. (I just started using the app Headspace)
- *NOTE: Personally all of the mindfulness/meditation/manifestation stuff is a bit “New-Agey” to me, so I prefer to include my Bible study in this time. This includes whatever study I’m doing at the time, reading the Bible, answering the questions, and praying for my list of people I’m praying for at that time.
- 5-10 reps of something (less than 1 min.)
- *NOTE: If/when I do this one, it’s push ups on my knees.
- Titanium Tea w/ MCT oil – (2-3 min) – I have not started this part yet – I drink WATER.
- Answer the following: (while drinking your tea/water) (I have just been drinking water)
- I am grateful for… 1______, 2_______3______
- What would make today great? 1______, 2_______3______
- Daily Affirmations… I am 1______, 2_______3______
- My workout.
- Monday/Tuesday – Row for 20 – 30 min HIIT workout. (I use a Hydrow rower. It’s like Peloton, but it’s a Rower in stead)
- Wednesday/Thursday/Saturday – Strength training days. I subscribe to The Faster Way to Fatloss with Amanda Tress. These work outs I do in my home gym right in my garage. They are awesome!
- Friday/Sunday – Active recovery – 20 – 30 min of rowing or yoga.
- An old relationship that really helped you
- An opportunity you have today
- Something that happened yesterday (experienced/witnessed)
- Something simple near you or within sight.
- 3 amazing things that happened today 1______, 2_______3______
- How could I have made today better? 1______, 2_______3______